Our History

Villa Medici Giulini between past and future

Villa Medici Giulini - Architectural complex
Architectural complex

The origins of Villa Medici Giulini architectural are very ancient and can be traced back to medieval times. It was probably an ancient fortress built to guard the village and the hypothesis is supported by the large room with groin vaults remained intact over the time. The same position of the buildings, on the top of a hill, may confirm the hypothesis of a building with a destination of “house-fortress”. In the middle of the seventeenth century the Chapel was erected. On the altar an altarpiece by Antonio Busca, depicting The Holy Family with Saint Francis is placed (1625-1686). The bronze bell above the small church is engraved with the date 1643. The complex of the buildings remains the same in the map of Maria Teresa dated 1721 and it was never substantially modified over the centuries. At the end of the 18th century the opening between the two Cappuccine was created and the Italian garden, as we see it today, was designed. The history of Villa Medici Giulini reports the different ownerships that followed each other over the time, from the middle of the seventeenth century until today. At the end of the 18th century Francesco Zuccarelli decorated the first floor’s hall of honour with six magnificent temperas that probably represented the villages that were part of the property that included many extensive lands. The Villa then became a “villa of delizia”. Lands around were cultivated with mulberries and vineyards, as it was the custom of the “Farm-villas”. There are still many agricultural tools that recall the field work.